Captain America Premium Format

Thursday 30 June 2011

Doctor Who: Rat Trap review



And so, all too soon, we come to the end of the trilogy of stores featuring the Fifth Doctor and his dream team of companions.
This adventures sees them land up in… I was about to type ‘contemporary’ England, but it is actually the early 1980s, which, I fear, tells you all you need to know about  just how terribly old I am..!
This is in many ways a thoroughly old fashioned story, with the companions getting separated early and lots of running up and down corridors. There are also some creepy monsters that, in my minds eye at least, would not be out of place around the ‘Awakening’ and ‘Frontios’ era of Who. (Although I have just read on the Big Finish site that it is set between Enlightenment and The King's Demons)
The only real problem I had with this otherwise exciting tale was the at times heavy handed way the message was hammered home. The story is quite clearly a strong anti-vivisection statement, and as such it did not really need the characters to be told “Ah! But that’s what you do to animals”, as happens more than once.
The big monster though, is a wonderful creation straight out of folklore, and one that has been well used before in comics and novels , which is, of course, a Good Thing.
As I have said before, I have really enjoyed this short series of tales, they have all had a really authentic feel to them, and I shall repeat myself again in saying that the cast are clearly having way too much fun for something that they are being paid for.
The ending here is not quite final, so I hope that we see more from this cast again sooner rather than later. Yes, I know they all have other things to do, but I want my audio adventures, dammit!


No comments:

Post a Comment