Captain America Premium Format

Saturday 2 April 2011

Doctor Who Industrial Evolution review





This is the third in the recent series of Thomas Brewster tales, and sees the Doctor and his companions in 19th Century England in the middle of the Industrial Revolution.
I’d be very surprised if the Doctor hasn’t visited this era before, but I cannot think of any examples off the top of my head. It is a wonderful time in history and absolutely ripe for just the kind of sci-fi adventure that the Doctor loves.
And boy do they go for it here. This was one of those rare times when I listened to a Big Finish Who and wished it was on the screen. I fear, however, that the SFX budget required to recreate the incredible steampunk monsters here would be beyond James Cameron, never mind BBC Wales!
Plot wise, this cracks along at a lovely pace. There is, or seems to be, an enormous amount of action going on in this adventure, but it is never at the expense of storytelling. And the story is a good one, and provides another interesting addition to what could probably be called ‘The Chronicles of Thomas Brewster’. What I liked most though, was that the ending I had assumed from the first episode was not anywhere near the one we got.
I really like Brewster- he’s a great character, and the relationship he has with the Doctor is excellently portrayed by the actors in question.
As usual, the acting is excellent and while I’d usually at this point in the proceedings point out who great Colin Baker is (and he is), I would have to highlight Paul Chahidi in the role of Townsend as a particular standout here. Also- the sound design in this story is some of the best I have ever heard in a Big Finish audio.
So, another good one from Big Finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment